LANCASTER (Black Thursday) JB361 OF-B
Flack's crew was lost less than a month later on 6 January 1944. All are buried in the Berlin 1939-45 Cemetery except R G Boston who became a PoW. For information on the loss of the Flack crew, scroll down the page.
Emerson and the rear gunner Geoffrey Wood were killed on 21st February 1944.

CREW (on Black Thursday)
Pilot: P/O Victor Samuel Flack
        Killed 6-Jan-44
2nd Pilot: F/L Roderick Stanley Emerson
        Killed 21-Feb-44, crash at Bourn,
        buried in Cambridge City Cemetery
Flight Engineer: Sgt John Alfred Hare
        Killed 6-Jan-44
Navigator: F/O Kenneth Peter Rand
        Killed 6-Jan-44
Bomb Aimer: F/O RG Boston
W/Op: W/Op: Robert Ferguson
        Killed 6-Jan-44
Mid-Upper Gunner: F/S Harry Norman Dunnett
        Killed 6-Jan-44
Rear Gunner: F/S Geoffrey Woods, "Geoff"
        Killed 21-Feb-44, crash at Bourn,
        buried in Cambridge City Cemetery

Victor Samuel Flack, Roderick Stanley Emerson, John Alfred Hare, Kenneth Peter Rand, RG Boston, Robert Ferguson, Harry Norman Dunnett, Geoffrey Woods

This was a very unlucky crew. With the exception of R G Boston, the bomb aimer, who by some miracle survived, the main crew were killed on 6th January 1944 when their Lancaster JB191 was brought down. The rear gunner then was John Roberts.
Geoffrey Wood, the rear gunner on Black Thursday, had joined Emerson's crew and was killed with him on 21st February 1944.

Left: Geoff Wood

Any information on this crew?

Please email

Aircrew on Berlin op - December 16/17 1943

The crew were lost on 5/6 January 1944. It appears that the aircraft was brought down near Lueskow as the crew were first buried in the Parish cemetery there. As Lueskow is 32 miles north-east of Stettin, this would tie in with the target that night which was Stettin. Stettin, now in Poland, was at the time in Northern Germany.
The only survivor, R G Boston, the bomb aimer, probably went out of the forward hatch. After capture by the Germans, Boston was seen by a medical officer at Anklam who told him that all the others were dead.
On his return home from PoW camp, Boston gave the following information about the loss of the aircraft:
When I left my position in aircraft this officer (Flack) was still at controls, this was my last sight of him.  German medical officer at Anklam said rest of my crew were dead.  Do not know anything of any others, but all members of the crew would have found it extremely difficult to abandon aircraft.
The crew were later reinterred at Berlin War Cemetery. 
Amongst those killed was John Roberts, the rear gunner, who was standing in from another crew. See Wakley crew for further details of John Roberts.